Grilled Chicken with Orange and Ginger
1 (4-pound) chicken
Salt and pepper, to taste
Oil, for the grill
1 orange, zest and juice (about 1/2 tablespoon zest and 1/3 cup juice)
1 lemon, juiced (about 2 tablespoons)
3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon crushed coriander
2 teaspoons paprika
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. With kitchen shears or a sharp knife, cut along each side of the backbone (cutting through the rib bones) and remove it.
2. Turn the chicken over so it is lying breast side up on the cutting board. Press firmly on the breastbone to flatten it.
3. Pat the chicken dry, and sprinkle with salt and pepper on both sides. Place it in a baking dish.
4. In a small bowl, stir together the orange zest, orange juice, lemon juice, ginger, olive oil, honey, coriander, paprika and salt. Pour the marinade over the chicken, turning to coat.
5. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to overnight, turning occasionally in the marinade.
6. After marinade the chicken, you can start grilling it.
7. Once the chicken has cooked through, carefully flip the chicken over onto the hot side of the grill. Cook for an additional 1 to 3 minutes, or until the skin is brown and crisp.
8. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes. Cut into pieces and serve.