Baked Homemade Macaroni and Cheese
2 1/2 cups elbow macaroni
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
4 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 pound shredded Cheddar cheese
melted 1 sleeve buttery round crackers, crushed
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in the macaroni, and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the pasta has cooked through, but is still firm to the bite, about 8 minutes. Drain well.
3. Combine 1/4 cup butter, flour, milk, salt, and Cheddar cheese in a large saucepan over medium heat; cook and stir until the cheese is melted and the mixture thickens, 7 to 10 minutes. Add the macaroni and stir to coat.
4. Pour the mixture into a 9×13 inch baking dish. Mix the 1/4 cup melted butter and crushed crackers together in a bowl; scatter the cracker mixture evenly over the macaroni mixture.
5. Bake in preheated oven until golden brown on top, about 45 minutes.